Connect, engage and create with RISD CE Online
Rhode Island School of Design Continuing Education online classes offer accessible, flexible and immersive learning experiences that you can access from anywhere in the world, at any time of day or night. Join RISD CE online to:
- Access RISD’s acclaimed curricular concept and renowned instructors from anywhere.
- Continue your creative journey of lifelong learning on your own schedule.
- Enjoy the flexibility of our courses by taking them at any time of day or night.
- Collaborate with like-minded creatives and join a community of thinkers, tinkerers and makers.
- Learn, connect and engage with RISD CE faculty who are experts in their fields.
- Update your skill set to advance your profession on your own time.
Most of our online classes are asynchronous, meaning that discussions, course materials and assignments can be taken at any time of day, as they do not meet live. Our asynchronous classes have no live class sessions or set meeting times, and must be completed by its specified end date. Please note that some instructors will offer virtual office hours where video or telephone conversations will occur, and others will include projects where small groups of students will meet through the video conferencing platform Zoom.
Some of our online classes are synchronous, meaning they meet live during a specific time of day, in Eastern Time, on the video conferencing platform Zoom. Additional course materials are hosted by our course management system. If a section meets live, scheduled meeting times are included in the section details.
Both asynchronous and synchronous courses will include video presentations, detailed tutorials and discussion forums. Assignments will be sequenced so that one leads to the next and will include project deadlines. Students receive individualized support for idea development and critique of work. To keep pace with the course, students should expect to log in regularly to our course management system.